The 9/4/2014 meeting was held at Nevins Brewing Company, Mike Zuro presiding in Darien’s absence.
- Brew At The Bridge, September 20th, 2014, in Oswego, IL from 1-7pm. We’re still looking for volunteers and beer donations. See Ian Webster for more details.
- Bottle Share at Art Golk’s house on Saturday, September 27th, 7pm. Theme: Sours. There will also be cigars and charred pork of some kind.
- Dues will be lowering due to the new insurance policy. Details forthcoming.
- Details on this years Christmas party will also be forthcoming.
- Brixtoberfest! Looking for competitors, judges, and stewards! Entries accepted starting September 6th. Check out http://brixtoberfest.brixiesbrewers.com for more info.
- Election nominations:
President: John Lawlor nominated himself, seconded by Art Golk
VP: Art Golk nominated himself, seconded by Mike Zuro
Secretary: Rob Ruiz nominated Brian Phad, seconded by Travis Beard
Treasurer: Rob Ruiz nominated himself, seconded by Ian Webster
Director: Mike Zuro nominated himself, seconded by Rob Ruiz
Technology Chair: David Hermann nominated for appointment
Industry Liaison: Ken McMullen nominated for appointment
Brewing Technology: Jamnes Cameron nominated for appointment
Social Chair: John Marlovitz nominated for appointment
- MWBF: Huge thanks to volunteers and homebrew donors from Ken McMullen and Dave Stoiber
- Hopvine: Ken mentioned he has a lot of old Limestone growlers he needs to get rid of at a discount. Talk to him for more details.
- Pollyanna Brewing: Ed says they might be opening at the end of September in Lemont. All inspections passed to date!
Attached is the presentation from the 1/9/2014 PALE meeting:
January 2014 Meeting Presentation
Items of note:
- Andrew Steinbach picked up some barrels from Revolution Brewing and is requesting assistance/advice from the group on how to make the best use of them. We will also reach out to Marc Wilson at Nevin’s to discuss barrel aging and fermenting, as he has numerous barrels out on display aging now.
- The vote to amend the club bylaws to reduce the number of directors from 5 to 3 was put in motion, seconded, and voted upon. The vote passed unanimously to allow the amendment.
- There is one free slot open for the BJCP class that begins Monday, January 13th. Be sure to reach out to Tim Racette on this (see the email that went out last week).
- Congratulations to the following winners of the January PALE Project (Belgians):
- 3rd Place: Eileen Uchima for her Belgian Tripel
- 2nd Place: Eileen and Heather Uchima for their Belgian IPA
- 1st Place: Eileen Uchima for her Belgian Dark Strong
Here are all of the meeting dates and locations for 2014.
- January 9: Hopvine
- February 6: Nevin’s
- March 6: Hopvine
- April 3: Nevin’s
- May 1: Tailwinds
- June 5: Hopvine
- July 3: Nevin’s
- August 7: Hopvine
- September 4: Nevin’s
- October 2: Hopvine
- November 6: Nevin’s
- December 4: TBD Holiday Location
Looking ahead for upcoming competition styles? Look no more!
March: English Brown
May: German Wheat & Rye
July: Pale Ales
September: European Amber Lagers
November: Scottish & Irish
Attached is the link to the November Club Meeting Presentation. This includes the slides from Dave Christensen’s discussion on water.
November Club Meeting Presentation
Our Winter Party on December 7th has been unfortunately canceled. We tried to streamline the costs as much as possible, and as a result, our break-even point was very close to maximum attendance. Unfortunately, we have not come close enough to this number to maintain costs. Those of you who have paid already will be refunded shortly.
We hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving. Cheers!
It is that time of year again. Oktoberfest parties are in full swing, and pumpkin beers are back on the shelves, it is fall. That can mean only one thing it is time for our Fall Picnic. This year it will be held on Saturday, October 12th from 12:00 – 6pm at Waa-Kee-Sha park in Oswego . We are still working on all the details of the picnic, but the club will sponsor the meat at the picnic, we are just asking each family to bring a side item to share with everybody and a bundle of firewood for the fire.
Please feel free to bring your homebrew in bottles, growlers, or we will be having two jockey boxes available to serve your homebrew.
12:00pm – Picnic begins – A campfire will be burning. (We are asking each family to bring a bundle of wood for the campfire.)
1:00pm – People’s Choice Beer Competition begins
1:30pm – Brats and Hot Dogs will be on the grill
4:00pm – People’s Choice Competition ends and votes are tabulated
4:30pm – 1st place People’s Choice winner is announced. 1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners will have their beers on tap
6:00pm – Picnic wraps up
To signup you can either see Art/Travis at the October meeting or you can send an email to the Social Team. All entries are due by 5:00 PM on Thursday, October 10th as Art is printing up the ballots.
Guidelines for the competition are listed here:
- There are no style restrictions.
- We will assign serving/tasting timeslots based on the number of participants (i.e. 20 minutes).
- Participants MUST provide their beer in a keg (2.5 gallon minimum). We will not be accepting bottles for the competition.
We are still working on the prizes so stay tuned.
1st, 2nd & 3rd place winners will have their kegs remain on tap on the jockey box once the competition is completed.
A reminder that the October meeting is tomorrow at Hopvine in Aurora (map link on the right column). This meeting will have a lot going on, so please arrive on time; early would be best.
- The 2013 Elections will be conducting. Please see THIS post for the details.
- A special buffet will be setup for PALE Members and their guests. The cost is $10/person. The menu is listed below:
Coq au Beire
chicken braised in hopvine amber ale, mushrooms, onions, and buttered herb egg noodles
2yr aged white cheddar and buttermilk onion strings
Smoked Chicken Wings
smoked, spiced, fried…
Trick or Treat Popcorn
house made caramel corn, mini reese’s peanut butter cups, m & m’s, chocolate and peanut butter drizzle
The buffet will run from about 6:30 until 7:30, but please try to be there beforehand so we can get the meeting started on time.
See you there!
President: Darien Kruss
Vice President: Mike Zuro
Secretary: Ian Webster
Treasurer: Peter J Rzeminski II
Director: (only three seats are available this cycle)
Tech Talk: John Lawlor
Communications & Tech: Art Golk
Competition: Chris Schabert
Brewery Liaison: Ken McMullen
Social Chair: Art Golk
Elections for the Officers and three Director positions will occur at the start of the October meeting. The meeting will being at 7:00pm, so please arrive on-time!
The September 2013 meeting location has been moved to Nevin’s Brewing Company.
We apologize for the inconvenience.