This months meeting at Hopvine had a great turn out and filled the PALE room. Couple of new member and a lot of great homebrew, including a special sips or two from the Hopvine fermenters.
Couple quick notes from the meeting:
- CBW/Werk Force – PALE 5th anniversary brew day. Hit 1.110 OG looking for about a 10% imperial stout, which is going into a Koval Bourbon barrel soon.
- Coming soon: new revamped updated website.
- Lots of great homebrew competitions in the local area — have you submitted yet?
- Upcoming events, include a bottleshare at John Marlovitz house, see Facebook event for details.
- Working on some cool Chicago Craft Beer week events with Hopvine and Nevins.
- Big Brew Day is still on for Sat. May 2nd – Rex Slagel is hosting, including meat competition.
Jamnes also had a excellent brew-experiement/tasting on the differences standard (1hr) and long boil (3hrs) – same OG, same recipe, just adjusted for water. There was a fair amount of difference between the two.
Next meeting will be at Nevin’s Brewing Company in Plainfield — see you then.
We will be brewing our anniversary Imperial Stout at CBW / Brew Werks … SUNDAY MARCH 1st starting at 9am. (brewdays at Werk Force typically go to about 4pm)
ALL Members are welcome to attend and enjoy.
Note original date was Feb 22nd
February Meeting highlights:
30+ members in attendance, several guests and new members as well.
Would truly love to see more PALE members enter homebrew competitions. Please consider one of the upcoming competitions.
PALE Project: next month Best of Show (all categories)
Upcoming Events: ————-
- February Bottle Share: Feb 21st – Sour Night hosted by Travis Beard
- Naperville Winter Ale Fest – Feb 28th – enter “pale” to get $5 discount
- PALE Softball Team — looking for TEAM NAME and Sponsor
- Chicagoland Homebrew Club Social – April 11th
Chaos Clubhouse – must get free ticket on-line
- Big Brew Day/Meat and Brew – Saturday May 2nd at Rex Slagel’s
AHA Big Brew and 3rd Annual Meat Competition
- 5th Anniversary Barrel Fill – Feb/March with Werk Force Brewing
Survey and more information coming soon.
PALE Alumni: ——————-
Keeping in touch with current and former members that have gone on to professional gigs.
- Hopvine – (Ken) Ukranium Krusher released (Thurs) – will have a multi-year vertical soon.
Chef and Brewer event — 5 brewers pair randomly with 5 brewers – March
- Pollyanna – (Ed) several new releases, Homebrew night is 1st Monday of the month
several events with Marty Nachel and Ashleigh Hayden (New Belgium) coming.
- Nevins – (Marc) has new release Midnight Sun, a collaboration brew with Lake Effect.
- Brew Bag – (Rex) now delivered to 16 countries – and over 1000 invoices.
- Werk Force / Brew Werks (Brandon/Steve) – 3rd year anniversary last weekend.
- Midwest Brewers Fest
Elections: Jon Proulux and Dan Sargent
- Banging Gavel (Walter Ornelas) – official releases of Redhanded and Chicanery
- Katie Long – Illinois Craft Brewers Guild
- New Belgium - (Ashleigh Hayden)
- Bucket List (Pat Ward)
Brewing Tech: ——————-
SMaSH comparison between Pale 2-Row and Marris Otter.
Really showed the taste and color difference between two commonly used malts.
Download the brewing notes and observations (36K pdf)
Feb 2015 PALE Project winners are Patrick Elder for his Russian Imperial Stout, and David Herrmann for both Barleywine and Best of Show categories. Congratulations!
Jan 2015 PALE Project best of show winner is Nick Barrett with a non-Saison. Congratulations!
Start the 2015 off with our next PALE meeting at Hopvine Brewing Company at 7pm.
- One Four Pack of 2014 Bourbon County
- CBW Gift Card
- Hopvine is donating a growler ($5 value) and a $20 gift card for the raffle.
- Other items TBD!
PALE project reboot – bring your best beer this month for the Best of Show – entries must be in prior to 7pm! See the PALE Project page for more details.
Malt extract comparison and tasting, by Jamnes
Come a bit early and support our host and have some dinner and craft beer before the meeting.
Come ring in the holidays with your PALE friends and, Santa’s favorite – BEER!
When: December 13th @ 6 pm
Where: Grande Park Clubhouse – Map to the clubhouse can be found here – http://bit.ly/1En7zC8
UPDATE – We have had generous beer donations from Hopvine and Polyanna to compliment our party.
Hopvine – Oaty Stout
Polyanna – Behind Abby Doors
Be sure to sign up and not miss out on this event.
- Cost is $10/person.
- First 60 people to register get a super-festive 2014 PALE Winter Party glass!
- Payment can be made via PayPal at Treasurer@palebrewers.org
- Be sure to include the name(s) of who’s attending in the comments section of the PayPal payment.
*** IMPORTANT: This is a pot luck and bottle share party. Please answer the poll in the comments section of the evite with what type of dish you’ll be bringing.
- Main dish
For the bottle share, please visit the Google spreadsheet (ask for details)
Questions? Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, November 6th, at Nevins Brewing Company in Plainfield
Meeting begins promptly at 7pm. Please arrive early if you wish to renew your membership. We have cut our membership dues in half this year to only $10!!! Members in Good Standing may also pay on the web. If you are able to arrive early, you may also like to sample some of Nevin’s food and craft beer that is on special at $3/glass every Thursday.
If you want solid, honest feedback on your beer, look for the folks with yellow lanyards. These are BJCP certified judges and will be happy to give you praise and pointers on your brew.
Show & Tell: Got a piece of equipment, technique, or process you can share in about two minutes? Let us know and we’ll give you the stage!
Saturday November 29 at the home of Kevin Herbst at (7pm?)
Bring at least 24 oz. of your favorite high gravity beer(s) and some munchies to share. Please see John Marlovits or email email@example.com to join.
Thursday, December 4th, 7PM at Hopvine
Ashleigh Hayden of New Belgium Brewery (and PALE member) is will be doing an exclusive Off Flavor Seminar for our club. Free to active PALE members, please register with Brian Phad or email to Secretary@PALEBrewers.org.