Our club was founded in October 2010 – by vote, we were named P.A.L.E or Plainfield Ale and Lager Enthusiasts. Below is a history of our club, major events and milestones. We plan for continued growth and hope we have a long future ahead of us as a homebrew club. In April 2013, we officially became the PALE Homebrew Club, a registered Illinois non-profit corporation.
Club Timeline and Important Dates:
- September 2010 – Initial club meeting, mainly for organization and planning.
- October 14, 2010 – 25+ people attended the First Official PALE meeting. By a majority vote – PALE was decided upon as our official club name over 36 choices. First Club President Ed Malnar.
- November 6th 2010 – our 1st “Learn to Homebrew Day” at Limestone with about 6 brewers.
- December 2nd, 2010 – Logo contest – won by Jeff Gaither, slightly modified for printing.
- December 11th 2010 – Club’s first event the 1st Limestone Winterfest – serving homebrew samples.
- January 22nd 2011 – Beer Sensory Class held at Limestone with Author Marty Nachel.
- March 2011 – Club hits 80+ registered members!
- May 7th, 2011 – Big Brew Day 2011 at Limestone. Homebrewing event at Limestone
- July 24th, 2011 – PALE Summer Picnic Bash — 60 people attended our 1st family picnic at Riverview Farmstead
- August 27th, 2011 – Midwest Brewers Fest – 2500+ ppl attended the event on a beautiful day in August, PALE was the host homebrew club and instrumental in volunteer support.
- September 2011 – Club hits 100+ registered members!
- November 3rd, 2011 – 1st Club Elections, President Chris Heinen and Officer Neil Hoffman.
- January 5th, 2012 – PALE Project — first ever beer judging event, exclusive to Club members. Ray Krueger won the Porters competition.
- January 21st, 2012 – PALE Bowling Outing at Plainfield Lanes.
- April 5th, 2012 – due to Limestone moving locations, 1st club meeting held at Bolingbrook Golf Course.
- May 5th, 2012 – AHA Big Brew Day – at the Brew Corner / Alsip Nursery, Frankfort IL.
- July 14th, 2012 – 2nd Annual Summer Picnic Bash – Riverview Farmstead – about 45 attendees. Lots of good food, people and beer!
- August 25th, 2012 – 2nd Annual Midwest Brewers Fest – another smashing successful fest – supported by PALE in all volunteer positions – board, team leaders – team members and many day of fest volunteers.
- September 6th, 2012 – PALE meeting at Solemn Oath Brewery, Naperville IL. about 70 attendees.
- October 4th, 2012 – 1st meeting at Mickey O’Neill’s – possible new home.
- October 13th, 2012 – OctoberFest at Waa-Kee-Sha Park – small gathering due to weather. Dan Barton won People’s Choice Beer.
- November 1st, 2012 – 2nd Club Elections for all positions. Mike Zuro new President, Ed Malnar Vice President, Rod Wiberg Treasurer and Neil Hoffman Secretary.
- November 3rd, 2012 – AHA Learn to Homebrew Day at Brewmaster Ken McMullen’s house. 12-14 people attended, with 5 people brewing 40 gallons brewed.
- February 2013 – Pete Rzeminski, by Board decision, is named Treasurer to replace Rod Wiberg who stepped down for personal reasons.
- March 2012 – Club membership renewal – 117 registered members.
- March 2013 – Club membership renewal – 128 registered members
- April 2013 – The club becomes a registered Illinois non-profit corporation under the name The PALE Homebrew Club.
- May 4, 2013 – Big Brew Day held at John Lawlor’s
- July 28, 2013 – 3rd Annual Summer Picnic Bash – Riverview Farmstead – about 30 attendees
- August 24, 2013 – 3rd Annual Midwest Brewers Fest
- September 5, 2013 – Last meeting of the 2013 Fiscal Year, nominations are taken for the elections in October.