PALE Members, the Board of Directors has an open Director seat. Per the By-Laws, the seat is to be filled at the next meeting (June). If you capable of meeting the requirements for the seat (Article III, Section 2.2) and wish to run for it, please contact Mike Zuro (President@PALEBrewers.org) for further details and to get on the ballot.
Last evening, we launched the new PALE Club Shirts. We are still taking orders for the June meeting.
Please visit THIS LINK to see the options and prices available. You must be a PALE Homebrew Club Member to see the link. If you are a member are you are having problems getting to the site, please email us at tech@PALEBrewers.org and we will help you out!
The IHA has notified us that HB630 has passed the Senate Executive Committee with a vote of 15-0-0.
It has been placed on the calendar to receive a Second Reading on the Senate floor May 2, 2013.
Looking for some brewers for Big Brew Day, I have space for a 5-6 brewers.
We are discussing brewing a big barleywine or IPA and barrel aging it!
Recipe discussion on the forums : http://forum.palebrewers.org/
Please respond ASAP if interested!
Location: 2366 Shiloh Dr.- Aurora IL. 60503
Tailwind’s does not have food on-site, so we are once-again doing a pot luck dinner! It was such a success lat time, we could not help but do it again! Head on over to the FORUMS and let know what you are bringing!
Illinois Homebrew Alliance (IHA) Call to Action
If you are a homebrewer, or you are a friend with a Homebrewer, please take a moment to read this. The Vote is scheduled for this week, so the sooner you call, the more impact you will have!
The IHA has been working to draft a bill that will change Illinois Law to codify existing practices and expand curtailed rights for Homebrewers.
The bill that was drafted, House Bill #630 (HB630) was negotiated with a group called the Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois (ABDI) over the last few months. The bill, while not perfect, gets us a number of things that we as Homebrewers want. Among them are:
- Homebrew Tastings will be legal (again) at Beer Festivals such as, oh, I don’t know, the Midwest Brewers Fest!
- Homebrew will be legal to consume in any location where commercial beer can be consumed. (so long as you don’t share it with the public). The park, tailgating, Ravinia, …a Homebrew Club Meeting… all become officially legal.
- The fermenting of Homebrew becomes legal at any Homebrew Shop willing to allow it.
- Homebrew Shops, if they get the insurance for it, are allowed to brew their own homebrew and serve samples to customers.
To get this bill passed, we need you to take 15 minutes out of your day and make two telephone calls.
- Visit IllinoisHomebrew.org, locate your Illinois Senator & Illinois Representative on the website, click on their name, locate their Springfield Office phone number and call it.
- Tell the person the phone “My name is YOUR_NAME_HERE and I am calling to ask you to support House Bill 630.” If they ask your address and name, be sure to provide it so they can confirm you residency.
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to make the same phone calls!
That is it. You have done your part to help ensure the passage of House Bill 630. Thank You and Congratulations, go open a Homebrew in celebration!
Huge news with the homebrew Legislation!!! We have a bill!
This bill is what will get us back into the Festivals and make homebrew samples to the public legal! (under controlled conditions, of course)
The language of the bill was negotiated by the Illinois Homebrewers Alliance (IHA) and the Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois (ABDI), and has language that benefits Homebrewers, Homebrew Clubs, and Homebrew Shops.
The IHA has stated that they will release an annotated version of the bill to explain what each sections means, the benefits, and the restrictions. We will post it up here when it becomes available.
If all goes as planned, the Illinois House will vote on the bill on Friday, April 19, and then the Illinois Senate on Thursday, April 25.
We wanted to get an updated schedule out for the remainder of 2013 and start of 2014. We are going to coordinate the PALE Project with the AHA club only competitions in order to send the winners on to the AHA.
- May 2013 – Extract Beer
- July 2013 – Pale Ale-for bragging rights
- August 2013 – TBA
- October 2013 – European Amber Lagers
- December 2013 – TBA
- February 2014 – TBA
- April 2014 – Strong Belgian Ale
- May 2014 – Porters
When the TBA categories are posted, we will update them accordingly.
As before please have at least 2 12oz bottles for the competition with your name and style on the bottle. The start time will be between 6:15 and 6:30.
If there are any questions, please contact Chris Schabert.
Congratulations to the following PALE members who were winners at the recent Charlie Orr Memorial Chicago Cup Challenge!
- Paul Pfeifer 1st place in Smaller Stouts for “Paul’s Stout” Dry Stout
- Nick Olson 1st place in Bigger Stouts for “Temhota” Imperial Stout
- Bill Cartwright 1st place in English and American IPA for “Hossdawg IPA” American IPA
- Richard Gauthier 2nd place in Belgian Strong Ale for “Monk As A Skunk” Belgian Dark Strong Ale
- David Christensen 3rd place in German Wheat and Rye for “Weizenbock” Weizenbock
- Brian Phad 3rd place in Light Hybrid Beer for “Blinded by the Lights” Cream Ale
- Brian Phad 3rd place in Amber Hybrid Beer for “California Dreamin” California Common Beer
- Michael Jacobs 3rd place in Scottish and Irish Ale for “Piper Down!” Scottish Heavy 70/-